Monday, February 25, 2008

Blind Dating Fun

Speaking of the Sly Horse Tavern...
The owner of the elegant and delicious Sly Horse Tavern has made us a lovely offer. He has offered us a dinner for two gift certificate to be used for a blind date that we will cover in the Suburban Singles Scene. Fun, huh?

So we are officially kicking off our first Blind Date Contest for the Suburban Singles Scene. We'll accept applications through April, with the date planned for early May.

Applying means that you are willing to be photographed on the date for the blog and the magazine and that you are willing to share your thoughts in anticipation of the date and shortly after the date. The blind date will be the subject of the June column in the magazine.

Entries will be stored for possible future installments of the contest. Applications will be sorted by subjective review of a panel of yet-to-be chosen matchmakers with margaritas.

If you want to be considered, you need to send an e-mail to me at ann@suburbanscene.net with the following information:
Name & phone number
General physical description: age, race, height, fitness level
(photo attachments welcome but not required)
General education/employment information
Residential history (Where you live now, where you are from originally)
Preferences and deal breakers
What you are hoping for if you win (aside from a delicious dinner and minor local celebrity)
Anything else you want us to know.


In the meantime, anyone want to regale us with a story or tidbit about a blind dating adventure? My parents, who have been married for 47 years, met on a blind date - proof that they can work out great. I never went on a true blind date and I haven't tried the computer services, so I'm low on these stories myself.

3 comments:

Mike said...

AM

Way Cool ---- a Blind Date Contest. You know I will enter it ---- I may be quiet and reserved, but I am not exactly shy either. I guess that I am somewhat of a town hero / or a living legend at least on this blog for my correctly guessing the most # of bar stools since your unique and novel "contests" ever began.

None of my dates were ever blind, but neither is it true that "girls who wear glasses seldom get passes" either. They also say "that hindsight is 20/20" so at the risk of sounding cliche' even if I don't win at this contest, at least I can say that I tried. Now how is that for true intestinal fortitude and/or a willingness to step out and try something different only at the expense of my character (or in my being a character)

Wow, I know that Kathy Lee Gifford is a local (Bowie) celebrity, but she is also married, so I guess my blind date (if I win) will have to come out of another celebrity pool.
Water polo anyone ???????

P.S. I just got back from Hollywood Fla. so I do have the "Hollywood tan".

Mike said...

I don't have many blind date stories either, but on the very few occassions I had been introduced to someone I had not ever met before it usually was a situation where the attraction was not mutual but rather one way. In these contrived artificial situations there is usually too much pressure to connect. On the other hand, if you are very relaxed and feeling more like yourself in a natural situation there is a much better oppty that things will end up better.

On my first "real job", one of my bosses had a daughter that I was introduced to and the attraction was very mutual, but unfortunately the obviously awkward situation did not lend itself toward any normal relationship developing. ("never mix business with pleasure" at the risk of being cliche' again )

Mike said...

AM,

They say "Love is Blind" now we get to see if that cliche' holds true or not.

Hope I don't have any competition on this contest. I'll bet I'm one of the few who truly has the nerve to actually go through with it.

I'm also going to be positive and say that it could even be more fun than even winning the next mystery barstool