Thursday, February 14, 2008

Leap Day Skating

I don't know if you noticed the sidebar announcement or not, but we are having a skating party. The Piney Orchard Ice Rink in Odenton will give us the group skating rate on Friday, February 29th from 8:10-10pm. Just say you are with the Suburban Scene group when you pay at the door. Admission will be $4.00(regular price $6:50) and the skate rental fee will be $2.50 instead of the regular $3.00. You are welcome to bring your children. I'll have one in tow, straight from a Girl Scout cookie booth in Crofton.

Have you heard about the Leap Year folk traditions? Supposedly dating back to the 13th century, women were permitted to make marriage proposals in Leap Years. Men were required to say yes, or to make recompense with a silk dress or a kiss. Hhmmm. Perhaps a Victoria Secret gift card might be the modern equivalent. They narrowed it down to just Leap Day because I guess things got quickly out of hand when women could choose for themselves. So I guess it is a bit of a Ladies Night.

I've also heard that ice skating is a great place to pick someone up. That someone might be me, splayed on the ice. I have alerted my Aflac agent. Ice skating is great whether you can skate or not: great exercise, great excuse to hold on to someone, great reason to offer someone a hand.

I'm going to start the evening over in the snack bar to welcome our Suburban Scene friends. I'm thinking about distributing a little bit of "flair" for those who do. (Any "Office Space" fans out there?) What do you think about that?

5 comments:

Ava said...

Thanks for arranging this, Ann. Should be alot of fun.

Mike said...

AM,

You're doing such a fine job, keep up the good work as usual.

The leap year proposal thing is also a very interesting concept too. I Don't know if I'd say yes, but I certaintly would not say no to a private showing at Victoria's Secret either.

I used to be a rink guard at Mt Pleasant Ice Arena 15+ years ago. I'd always take time to help the splayed ladies on the ice. We were not encouraged to fraternize with our customers (other than to physically-pick them up), but I also did not get any extra mileage out of this situation either. See, I did not do this job for the money for the notariety nor the glory but rather for the exercise,(particularly during the winter months).

Last year when I went ice skating I had a group of high school girls whistling at me. A real great ego booster, but when you start realizing that I am old enough to be each of their father's then I have to end up realizing that I have to set my age limit at or near roughly 30.

One can always dream, but then reality sets in.

Mike said...

OK---I am a little perplexed about what you meant by distributing some flair in the context of the movie "Office Space" does this mean you will be giving out some Flair pens during this event? or does this mean that you will have on a flamboyant skating outfit and thus skate with a flair ?

Lordy Leap Year -- guess I can't wait to find out.

I used a flair pen to sign your leg cast way back during your early fall 07 boating accident. Hopefully no claims against your AFLAC insurance this time though.

Mike said...

AVO,

I knew you were waiting for this one event to come through.

Do you do anything unusual for Leap Year Day Celebrations ?

and What do you, or should I say whom do you propose ?

Another mystery ? I don't know which is more exciting AM's skating or Victoria's Secret outfits or just what to expect from AVO ?

Patrick said...

Cool, I have been trying to make an event but it usually coincides with the kid's weekend (although time is a little late for the 5 yr old). Is there a minimum # of flair that you will be wearing? :) I loved that movie, hysterical.