Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Without the Benefit of Marriage

My friend Peggy and I were talking about a phrase we heard our mothers use regarding people who were not married, but living together. They said the couple was living "without the benfit of marriage."

We wondered - what benefit?

We are single because of divorce. Our previous marriage experiences make us skeptical of the institution. I'm not sure if it is a venture I would undertake again in my life. There are a host of advantages to living single. My attitude toward marriage is more of a reflection on my experience.

But what if I had never been married?
What if I was single due to the death of a spouse whom I loved very much?

What has been your experience being a single person and how do you think it affects your attitude toward marriage?

For the stage of life you are in right now, which benefits you more: living single or getting married?

3 comments:

Miss Bunny said...

In my current stage of life I like being single and runnin' the place, but sometimes I wish I had another bunny to chase; us bunnies love to run! (I try to chase Kitty, but she scares me.) And when I'm shedding there is no one to help groom me; if I don't get help with my grooming I could get hairballs and die. I would like another bunny to lick my ears and cuddle with me at night. Would I be married then? The problem is that it can take months or years for me to get used to another bunny and I'm just not sure if it's worth it. When I'm lonely or want to play, I think it would be, but when I want things my way, it's not. If I took that much time to learn to snuggle and run with another bunny - with only the occassional bite, we would definitely bond for life. Would we be married then?

AM Kingsfield said...

I don't know if Bunny marriages are recognized in all states yet, but a lifetime companion is a wonderful accomplishment no matter yuor species. I do think those relationships take some effort. And the make-up snuggling after the occasional bite is always nice.

AM Kingsfield said...

How humbling to have a typo in my first comment. Don't worry about your penmanship on this blog. Just feel free to say what's on your mind, however it comes out.