Friday, March 30, 2007

Creating your own space

When you are single, your home is yours to decorate however you like. Are you living in a home you once shared with your spouse? How do you make it yours? Do you have to have a hodge-podge of salvaged furniture from when you moved out? Are you still using lawn furniture indoors?

Sometimes moving into singlehood means leaving a lot of your possessions behind. Your domestic budget may have just been reduced by half or more. So how do you take back your space?

I still live in the home I shared with the Ex. Because of the kids and the market, I have decided to stay where I am, but I needed to make the space mine. Some decorations had to come down right away. I repainted my bedroom and the kitchen. I was happy to lose the pennants in the basement. (Although he never displayed them in his new home either.) I invested in my first piece of original artwork, a portrait on wood by Darrell Ezekiel. I didn't have to ask for anyone's approval but myself. This piece spoke to me on a few levels. It was a small step to claiming my home for myself.

No comments: