Friday, April 20, 2007

Deliberately Single

I hate to assume that just because someone is single that they want to get married. Judging from the e-Harmony commercials, obviously many many do. But not everybody.

I suppose the need to mate is an ancient urge designed to preserve the species. So there must be, on some level, a biological factor.

Then there is the societal factor instilled in the very young through the happily-ever-after endings that teaches that happiness begins with marriage.

I am not opposed to marriage, just to bad marriages. I know a lot of people in great marriages who give me hope. I also know a lot of unhappily married people. Marriage, in and of itself, cannot provide happiness.

So I've been wondering how many singles out there have never wanted to get married.

I understand coming to that place where it no longer holds an allure. I won't rule it out as a possiblity. I just see it as less and less likely.

But are there folks out there who, for whatever reason, were never drawn to marriage? I wonder how you skated around the push to marry.

It seems that once you can get over the idea of wanting to get married, you have a much better chance to be content and happy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann,
I'm still not quite sure how I came upon your blog but am certainly pleased that I did. I realize this is not the correct place to be writing all this but your blog and website either didn't make any sense or actually let me do anything. My name is Paidra Delayno but don't let the name fool you. Doesn't Paidra sound like somebody who really knows computers?

I work in nursing homes by day and attempt to market the fictional works of Loren Douglas, a new author in the ever increasing market.

I am currently learning about blogs so was delighted to read yours. I have done two so far. Actually three but my ancient computer and browser are giving me fits about it. My first one is at: http://wwwddinpaidra.blogspot.com

My second one is at:
http://profit-loss.blogspot.com
I'm really pleased with the content of this one because it's a subject which has been roaming around in my head for a while now.

To introduce myself on the internet, I have been writing articles. If you google me, you will be able to see some of them. That's assuming you're interested, which of course, you have no reason to be.

Thanks for spending a few minutes with me.
Paidra Delayno
DayDreamin' Stories
ddinpaidra@yahoo.com

AM Kingsfield said...

Welcome, Paidra.
There are so many blogging niches. I'm glad you found this new conversation.
So are you deliberately single? unexpectedly single? resentfully single? contentedly single?

I suppose I have been all of those, depending on when you ask.

Unknown said...

Better late then never I say. To answer your question, I am deliberately single. I have been married but no longer. At this point in time, I have no desire to share my life with a man.