Thursday, August 16, 2007

Come Along With Me, The Best is Yet to Be

One of the tragedies of losing a spouse, either to divorce or to death, is the loss of your plans for the last quarter of your life. Not only are family holidays disrupted, but your retirement savings can be devastated. Your travel plans are canceled. Your relocation plans disrupted.

I don't know how long it takes to re-align yourself to new plans for aging without a partner. Loss of financial security is often the most stressful concern. It is so important to make yourself a financial plan.

I've been single again for over four years now. I'm finally feeling comfortable with the idea that I don't have to have a husband in my retirement plans.

There is just so much pressure to marry in our society. I think single people make married people uneasy. I know that many people just want to see you happy again, and they think marriage is the key to that happiness. But sometimes I suspect it is more that misery loves company.

I know plenty of married people who aren't enjoying their "golden years" together.

So I guess my question is...
What do you look forward to about retirement as a single person?
How different are your plans as an unmarried person?

I have several friends that I think I would enjoy being a Shuffleboard Queen with in my condo at Boca Del Vista.


Not that I would deny myself a happy marriage, I just don't see it as a requirement of my retirement anymore.

10 comments:

Laura said...

I look forward to traveling to places that I want to go. Just places that I want to see that maybe my spouse would not have gone. So I could do what I want when I want to do it.
I also think that in today's society there is pressure at a certain age to be part of a couple.
I would welcome a happy marriage, but I am not out searching for that to happen. I think I am going to enjoy retiring single!
Who knows, maybe I will make that list of shuffleboard friends that you have!! :-)

just me said...

I have news for you - even as a married person, I do not rely on my spouse for my retirement income. I participate as fully as possible in my employer's retirement plan, and have always done so. Although my spouse is my beneficiary, these accounts are in my name only.

My mother (married 45 years) always told me that a woman should have her own money. She was right, about that and so many other things.

AM Kingsfield said...

Very smart, jm. I am constantly surprised by the number of people who do not have a plan for their retirement.
I dated a guy - a smart lawyer - who had no investments for the future. He said, "I'm just going to work 'til I die."
I pointed out that he had a nice plan, but he may not have that choice.
He said that he was a grasshopper and I was an ant.
I knew right then that I was not signing up to be his retirement plan.

Laura, if we were shuffleboard queens, we would has lots to giggle about over our mint juleps.

just me said...

Even if I didn't think retirement planning was important before (and I did), I sure do now, since I'm employed by the mutual fund industry (where many people have their retirement accts)!

Also, I've been advised, if you have to choose between saving for retirement and your child(ren)'s college education, choose retirement - there are other ways to fund college, but you don't want to be eating catfood when you're 80 :(

AM Kingsfield said...

Yikes! Good advice though. I might quote you on that in my print article.
I suppose the kids have decades to pay off student loans.

Now with people living longer, you need to have more saved - or not retire at 62.

MarkEC said...

I think that is where my confusion lies... I have a variety of retirement funds nested away, but not sure how much I should be planning to have on hand when I retire. Time for some professional help.

just me said...

wish I could help you on that one, markec. I only work for the assn, but I'm far from expert on these matters. I just know a) most Americans are underprepared for retirement, but b) the situation is improving, especially among those of us in our 40s and 50s.

Saw a story in a trade publication yesterday about the idea of raising the minimum ages for soc sec and for taking IRA/401k distributions. Since people are both living longer and working longer, the current ages (62 for min soc sec benefits and 59 1/2 for retirement distributions) no longer make sense. I tend to agree.

dhhgirl said...

With 3 young children, I figure that I will have to work till I'm around 104 before I can retire, so they can go ahead and raise the current ages!

Hey Ann! Nice to see you here and not just out taking photos at Crofton Meadows ES functions or Ogle office!

Moet said...

Being 47 and the mother of a 5 year old, I get lots of not-so-nice looks when people inquire about my saving for my daughter's college education. I tell them that I'm saving for my retirement. She'll find a way to college, I'm sure. I agree with Just Me.

AM Kingsfield said...

Welcome dhh & moet. I sure hope to see you September 14th so I can find out who you are! I know you are allowed to be anonymous here, but I'm always so curious!
The school reporter is my alter ego.