Thursday, August 23, 2007

Toejam in my Teeth

I recently had trouble extracting my foot from my mouth.

My next column, at my editor's request and in keeping with the magazine's theme of "Making the Most of Your Retirement", will be about the ups & downs of dating in your senior years.

Since I'm not getting a whole lot of seniors participating on the blog, I wanted to interview a few so that I was sure to accurately represent the attitudes of local senior singles. So I asked a local businesswoman if she would mind if I asked her a few questions for background.

She said, "OK, but I wonder why I'm included in an article about seniors?"

oh no.
Apparently this is a difficult age to categorize. I was thinking AARP's 55+. She did agree that she was in her mid-fifties. whew! but sheesh!

I once dated a guy who was 56. We went to hear my mother sing in the Senior Chorale. My mother kept inviting my date to join the chorale. awkward. Thanks Mom ;-)

So anyway, I certainly don't mean to offend. What is the politically correct term these days. Do people not like being called Senior?

1 comment:

Anne said...

You can join AARP at 50, btw. My mother used to work for them. She refers to any older person as a "member."