Friday, August 24, 2007

New England Journal of Medicine

As I prepare for my October column on Senior Singles, I found a gift on the front page of yesterday's Washington Post. Did you see it? Just below the fold the headline read "Elderly Staying Sexually Active."

Surely "senior" is better than "elderly."

The study conducted by the University of Chicago was led by Stacy Tessler Lindau. They conducted face-to-face interviews across the nation with just over 3,000 men & women between the ages of 57 and 85. The article goes on to explain the physical and emotional benefits of an active sex life. Although men reported higher percentages of activity, this was said to be a result of the discrepancy in the longevity of men & women. Simply said, women tend to outlive their partner. The desire was there, but the partner wasn't.


Today's seniors benefit from medical breakthroughs in various aspects of health as well as from open conversations about sex. That's true for all of us really, no matter our age.

I can tell you that from my experience, some of the raciest comments I've heard come from my friends' mothers and my mother's friends. I'm not really surprised by this information. It does give me hope - and it suggests that I should pace myself.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I am totally intrigued by that picture!!! Where is that? And who are those women? And where is your Mom? I love the look on his face....too funny! Great blog by the way, you are such a gifted writer :)

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks Yolinna! I thought it was a great shot too. I think Mom was the photographer.