Sunday, September 2, 2007

Stereotypes

How do our preconceived ideas about different ages affect our self image as we age?

Honestly, the first time I felt bad about my age was when I turned 26. It was in a different age bracket: 18-25, 26-35. I couldn't round down anymore. I had a new mortgage to pay. I recognized a little ruefully that I wasn't a kid anymore. Well, I felt like one on the inside. My life was growing up around me.

40 was a new beginning. So even though I may have looked like I had just gone through hell, I felt hopeful. What I looked like was the least of my worries.

I still feel like a kid now - just as self-centered and prone to mood swings. But now I'm in this different set of roles at middle age. And my body is beginning to show the wear and tear of more than four decades of use and abuse. I don't know how much
longer my knees will hold out. My eyesight is doing something weird. Then there's just gravity and the constant battle with weight.

I recognize my good fortune that my body has not suffered a calamity in these four+ decades. I have met many strong, smart, sexy women that I want to be like when I grow up - well, at least when I reach their age.
Did you see Nora Ephron's latest book, "I Feel Bad About My Neck"? She cuts right to the truth about how many women feel about themselves.

Do men feel this way? Maybe not about their necks, but worry about how the affects of aging are changing your bodies? It seems that men get off easier in the media. The older man is still hot and he always gets the girl 20 years younger. That scenario isn't necessarily helpful.

I have seen the 15 year age difference in both combos of older husband or older wife. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. So I guess age isn't the factor that matters, since those odds aren't any worse than the general population.

Even so, I still put night cream on my neck.

1 comment:

Mike said...

AM,

I don't necessarily agree with the older guy getting women 20 years younger. I am in my 40's and women in their 20's as a matter of course prefer not to be with a guy older than in their 30's. Exceptions would be if the guy is exceptionally wealthy or either lends themself to that appearance
( exudes the illusion of success or wealth ). Re-stated "youth prefers to be youth unless of course you are a sugardaddy"