Thursday, September 27, 2007

Single Sick Days


I don't know how someone could get through an extended illness or recuperation from an injury without a big support network. I am blessed to live in my hometown with plenty of family and friends. My church is coordinating dinners twice a week for my family and my neighbors have sent over some food on some of those other days.

But what if I had relocated to a new town and hadn't made a whole lot of friends when I broke my leg? What if I hadn't gotten around to attending a church at all, for whatever reason? Or what if I was just shy or more of a loner who didn't have a big circle of friends? How would I manage?

I know there are several services I could employ. There are errand services and grocery delivery services. I don't know if they would actually put the ice cream in the freezer for me when they arrived, but thy might when they saw how pathetic I looked.

I am reminded more than ever in these days when I have been so dependent on the kindness of others, that what goes around comes around. I have done my share of taking meals to sick friends. Although I wish they didn't have this opportunity to pay me back, I'm sure glad they are.

Social networking, whether it is through a religion, a chorus, a PTA, or business turns out to be somewhat of an insurance policy against hard times.

If you would like to boost your opportunities to make local friends, then you have a chance tonight at the Four Seasons Grill's Happy Hour from 4-7. If you ask for "Joanna's Mango Elixir", your first round is on the house. They are doing that as a favor to all the Suburban Singles Scene fans. If there's a big turn out, maybe they will do it again.

Even if you don't actually drink the mango-vodka treat, use it as a signal. You can see what it looks like and then see who else has one. I've even have an intro line for you. You could say, "Hey did you hear what happened to Ann?" Then you can discuss my sad story and share your own broken bone stories. (I've learned in the past few days that everyone has a broken bone story.)

Let me know if that works for you. Even if you don't meet the love of your life, maybe you'll meet a new friend. Friends are important. You can never have too many.

I won't be able to make it to the happy hour, darn-it, but bottom's up for you.

2 comments:

Mike said...

AM,

I went to the Four Season's, although I had arrived there about 5:30 PM since I was coming up from LaPlata, MD. You were not there even though I had offered to see to it that you a got a ride to the event by not being able to drive with a broken foot -- So thats my angle to your bone story.

Anyhow I don't think that many showed up for this one on account that the pitcher of the Elixer was better than 3/4 full by the time I had gotten there. Guess everyone, including myself had wanted you to be there for the "Cast Party" (sigh) !!!!

Hope you'll be ready for the next event held in Oct or else we'll have to come and hunt you down.

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks Mike. I just wasn't quite up to it yet. But I am planning on making the Super Suppers event on the 12th.
I have my follow-up appt. today and am getting my "real" cast. So we will as cast-signing to the activities on the 12th.

I heard of a few others that went to the happy hour. I hope you were able to enjoy your free appetizers!