Saturday, January 12, 2008

Tripping the Light Fantastic





If you were at last Friday’s LA Singles Dance in the Bowie Knights of Columbus Hall and noticed a lot of new faces, that’s because the Suburban Singles Scene joined this renowned dance that has been running every Friday for almost twenty years. We joined singles from the Crofton area and ranging from St. Mary’s and Upper Marlboro, to Columbia and Ellicott City. Changing Focus singles support group also had a big crowd in attendance and another singles group, Bowie Area Singles. Close to three hundred energetic singles were twirling and tripping their fantastic toes around that huge dance floor.

To the inexperienced eye, it appeared that couples were everywhere at this singles dance. But the youngest girl on the dance floor shook her head and shouted over the music, “No, these older guys just really know how to dance!”

Now to her, older probably meant thirty, but whatever their age, she was right about these dancers. Although there were plenty of opportunities for the untrained dancers in the room, there were a few guys who could make anyone look like a pro. A couple of my dancer partners had me twirling like Ginger. What a workout!

Another regular on the dance floor, Irene Herman, kindly recognized my need for dance instruction when it came time for a line dance called “Booty Call.” She showed me the finer points. She was a great teacher, having won a dance contest in November. When I whined that I didn’t have the hip shake down as well as she did, she suggested I wear a swingy skirt to make my shake more dramatic. Sounds like a wonderful reason to go shopping.

LA Singles Founder and president, Stephen Evan, was a delightful host, greeting old and new guests alike, as was Enar Sanders, the Publicity Chairman. They have enjoyed watching the dance grow in popularity and spoke of the contests and theme nights that they plan for the dance. One tradition is a standing moment of respect to listen and sing along to a moving rendition of God Bless America in honor of our men and women in the armed forces.

Mr. Sanders pointed out the recently engaged Jack Staud and Judy Youngblood, who were sitting at the table where they met three years earlier at one of the LA Singles Dances. Friends came up to congratulate them as Mr. Staud said with a sweet grin, “We got engaged at Christmas because I couldn’t wait until Valentine’s Day.”

While the dance floor filled up for the Electric Slide, Mr. Staud, who has been a regular to the dance for over 12 years, explained how he met his fiancée, “She came over and asked me to dance. I’m kind of shy.”

To learn more about LA Singles Dances, visit their website at www.lasinglesbwa.com. To participate in the Suburban Singles Scene, visit us online at our Suburban Singles Blog at www.suburbansingles.blogspot.com, or watch for the singles column in Suburban Scene’s monthly print magazine.

6 comments:

Mike said...

AM and everyone else,

Sorry I was unable to make a Cameo appearance this past Friday. Other competing interests and an early Sat AM errrand down in Deal kept me from staying out past my own self imposed curfew.

Look on the bright side -- got plenty of rest this past weekend So now I am ready once again to entertain folks on this blog (as soon as I am able to bounce back from being a "Morning person" ).

Now where is that barstool for me to identify ?

Mike said...

AM,

Perhaps the title of this column should be changed to " Tripping the CFL or LED Fantastic " so as to be politically and environmentally correct.

I left my carbon dioxide footprint at home.

Mike said...

Not having gone to this forum of fun before can someone give me a rundown on the entertainment --- is it a band or a DJ ? and what is their venue --- top 40, oldies, classic rock & roll, rythm & blues, heavy metal, rap, disco, hip-hop, easy-listening ?

Are we talking 95 dBA and above ? Do you have to scream or speak loud to be heard and understood ?

Mike said...

OK, its mid January now and I am anxious to regain my title of "Mystery Barstool Identifier"
plus I need something to "hold me over until the next SSS event.

I have to do something to keep all the reader's of this blog entertained. Winning Mike makes a comeback in 08.

MarkEC said...

Enjoyed getting out on the dance floor again. It was a lot of fun.. got to see some old friends and new friends as well. DJ music was a variety, loud enough that you had to speak up and concentrate a bit on conversations.. but not ear crushing club levels. Maybe next time Mike!

Mike said...

Marcec,

"I was a day late and a dollar short" as they say. Thanks for filling me in on this last missed event. I would have gone, had I not had conflicting plans/priorities. Guess the next mixer event will not be until March TBH at Eddie's Ledos. If you see or hear from AM let her know I have an idea for an Eddie's Icebreaker.