Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Communication Responsibility

I'm thinking about school again. If you are divorced with children in school, I'd love to hear how you communicate with each other and the school about your children.

E-mail does make it easier. At least one of my kids' schools sent out PTA e-mail updates. They all participate in School Notes to one degree or another, posting upcoming assignments and tests. Plus there are paper newsletters that come home.

I guess my question is, how much responsibility does the non-custodial parent have in setting up these routes of communication? In my experience, the burden of the dad's inclusion rests on me. In a way, this makes sense. I'm filling out all the forms. I'm the first call in case of emergency. The backpacks get unloaded at my house. The homework get done at my house.

But even with all the electronic communication, it is still a challenge for me to keep the events filling my calendar, let alone getting them on his calendar. Inevitably, I get an announcement at the last minute or I forget to pass the information along to their father.

There's got to be a better way. I'm considering establishing a kind of "In Box" for him to check when he stops over to pick up the kids, although this would be jammed full quickly. I could also tell the kids to be sure to invite their dad.

What works for your families?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I too, will be anxious to see what other people do. It is always a mass of confusion at my house, and when I forget to pass something on,I feel awful for my children. We do the emailing, and he has had the school sending him copies of report cards, but that doesn't make up for the everyday things. I wish someone would tell me how to organize this part of my single parenting life!!

just me said...

the in-box thing sounds like a good idea - worth giving a try, especially when there's more than one school involved (as in your case).

MarkEC said...

We have the ESchoolNewsletter service at my daughter's school. I just signed her mom up after I did mine. I think about 90% of the news we need is there, but there are still last minute rushes for band events, etc. that seem to fall through the cracks. The thing we seem to keep forgetting is to share the school photos when they come back from school (to one house or the other).