Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Back to School Shopping

I know summer has just begun, but the next magazine issue will be the Back to School issue. I was wondering how all of you single parents handle the back to school shopping. Are you able to divide and conquer the supplies list with your Ex? Do you have to squeeze it in on the weekends and evenings?

My Ex doesn't live in my same town. Sometimes that is helpful when we can't find things on our shopping list. The last couple of years he has happened to have the kids on the last weekend before school starts. So, by default, he takes them shopping for some list minute items.

My kids get the Gimmes very easy. They have a poor immune system that way. I do try to make sure they have something new for the first day, but it may not be a whole new ensemble. My oldest is starting high school, so I know the first impression will be more significant this year for her.

I kind of like to shop for those special accessories because I remember their importance to me. But I think it is important for both parents to be involved in those preparations. It sends a message that we both care and are involved.

But I am fortunate to have a cooperative Ex.

How do you guys handle the prep?

4 comments:

Mike said...

This one is real easy. Most of the schools provide a laundry list of things the kids should have for school. As a parent you have to be a Maslow and separate the musts from the wants. Do this on the exact same list --- prioritize the musts vs wants set the upper boundaries for line item each purchase -- then let the kids loose and have them do the scavenger hunt -- go to a place like Office Depot or Staples -- they have lots of Clearance items. You could even have a competition -- offer a prize to the kid who can get the most supplies for the least amt of $

When you get done, then contact me for for claiming that prize for my guessing the barstool contest. You are gona need a cold one by then.

AM Kingsfield said...

Hey Mike, you need to put some info on your profile. You can put an e-mail there. I have mine linked in my profile. Send me an e-mail & we can discuss your prize.

I wish more of the bloggers used the profile feature. I'm so curious!

I like the scavenger hunt, prize for the bottom dollar idea. Good one!

Mike said...

Curiosity is a good thing. You could have popped into the Mon eve. dinner but thats not going to happen again until after Labor Day.
and you obviously have a conflict for the CVPA Bull Roast for this Sat. So thats not gonna happen either.

I am about your age but my personal situation is different. All I can say is just wait and be very pleasantly suprized

MarkEC said...

I only have one to shop for, so it is usually a fun end of summer event getting the new supplies.. and not too taxing on the wallet. When it comes to things like $100 calculators and clothes, we try to balance the money being spent... but I have a cooperative ex as well!