Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thanksgiving Plans

When you are getting used to being single again, the holidays can be a drag - especially if you don't have your children for the first time. Although traditions can be comforting, they can also be a burden.

Last year was the first Thanksgiving I wasn't going to have my kids and I just didn't feel like cooking a thing. I wanted to do something completely different - and not at my house.






I persuaded the rest of my family to join me for lunch at the relatively new Native American Museum in DC. It wasn't very crowded at all in the morning. The architecture of the building itself is intriguing. The exhibits were fascinating, although they sometimes made me ashamed I was white. The gift shop was alluring. And the cafeteria was fabulous. All the dishes are prepared in indigenous recipes.

That is bison pot roast on my plate, peanut soup, roasted blue potatoes, a field greens salad and some other delectables I can't quite remember a year later.
It was a great way to not mope around and feel sorry for myself.

What are your plans this Thanksgiving?

7 comments:

Ava said...

Ann,
I visited the Native American Museum 2 weeks ago. Very nice, and different. You're right, tho', definitely down on the white man. The cafeteria is quite unique, all those native foods, with plenty of vegetarian choices.

Unknown said...

My Thanksgiving plans include going to my parents home. Since my sister lives in FL and can't come home for Thanksgiving...Giant will be preparing our meal this year. Great meal without all the fuss!

AM Kingsfield said...

Welcome, Ava. I applaud you for signing up to comment.

Supper Supers is kind of a half-step between Giant and doing it yourself. We usually divvy up the meal to make it less work for everyone.

Mike said...

Hey Money Girl,

Why can't your sister fly up and be with the family. Its not that expensive to fly from Florida and Back ? ( she should try and make either T-Day or Christmas-New Year's )

I never knew Giant was in the business of catering or doing prepared foods for Thanksgiving. Careful not to get any of that gravy on yourself -- then we would have to do Money Girl Laundering

Unknown said...

My little sister is the GM of a movie theatre. Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day are the two busiest days of the year. Too many employees typically take off those days for her to have the luxury of taking off. She can't complain though because the monthly bonus she gets in Nov & Dec are huge! When she was still living up here, we would take her a plate. It's a little too far now to take her a plate of food.

As for Giant...$50 will give you enough food to feed 8-10 people without all the hassle.

Mike said...

Hey Money Girl,

OK now I understand why your sister is unable to vist you on or after Thanksgiving. Other than Christmas - New Years its the biggest money making time for the Movie Box Office. Hope you enjoyed your Giant catered Thanksgiving. I actually got a suprise gift of 2 (10$) gift cards to Boston Market cause some dear friends of mine thought as being a bachelor I would starve on T-Day. ( God bless them ).
Plus I still have all my Suburban Scene winnings on top of that.
Guess I'll need a Gym membership to work off all tem calories.

Mike said...

Hey Ava,

If you changed your name to AVO you could be the name of a fine line of cigars.

Nice thought, but no cigar !!!

I have not been to the Native American Museum yet and AM's pic & culinary experience there all seem very alluring, but in my dreams I'm thinking more like turqouis water and white sandy beaches - is anyone else with me ?