Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Planning Events

Since I began the singles column & blog for Suburban Scene back in April, the project has taken on a bit of its own direction. I sometimes feel as though I am holding the reins of those Budweiser Clydesdales: steering a wagon of fun, and hoping it doesn't get away from me.

I have had several e-mails and conversations lately with excited participants, suggesting a wide variety of activities for us to consider.

For the year 2008, I am going to try to highlight singles events and activities already going on in the area. I am going to collaborate with some of our advertisers on four unique events this year that are still being determined. I want to make sure we are using all the magazine's and our vendors' resources wisely. So as soon as I have the next big Suburban Singles Scene event on the schedule, I will be sure to announce it.

In the meantime, I am going to highlight events already going on with other local singles groups.


Just today, a friend asked me, "What advice should I give to my single friends who are looking for romance in those on-line dating services?"

Well, I honestly have no experience with those. I have heard mixed reviews. That is a whole area for future investigation and discussion. But I advised her to encourage her friends to change up their routines. Go to new places. Sign up for new classes. Accept an invitation.

If you always do the same thing, you decrease your changes of something new happening.

So in that train of thought, I want to encourage everyone to try the LA Singles Dance at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Bowie one Friday coming up in the next month or so.

Many of you have already been. It can be a lot of fun. There are all ages of singles, and all levels of dancing ability. It is every Friday night from 8:30pm to 1am. December 21st will have a Christmas theme. December 28th will be an early New Year's celebration.

I am going to go on January 11th. I already talked to the coordinator and he will help me get a table near the door to greet everyone coming in from the magazine and blog. It is so much more comforting trying something new when you know you will have someone to sit with and someone to dance with too. It'll be fun - and we'll probably all need to move around on the dance floor by mid January.

I'll post more about it as it gets closer, but mark your calendars.

19 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Here's my two cents on the idea of trying something new:

A turning point is a day when we think a different thought and take action on it resulting in a different destiny.

On that note....maybe I'll join you all in some dancing the night away on the 11th of January!

Until then, have a lovely and safe holiday season!

Mike said...

Hey Money Girl,

Looks like you are accepting "change" very well. I'll bet you would be a very good motivational speaker too. Your words are both kind and very encouraging to us all. Personally, you may have even motivated me enough to consider trying a debut at the K of C on 1-11-08.

AM,

Sorry if that Bud wagon train is getting a"head" of you. some of us bloggers occassionaly do "horse" around but with good intentions. Thanks for "reigning" us in.

It almost sounds as if you are conducting a "Gallop poll" on what to do next. I think things have "Budded" rather nicely, but as our "MC" you could also delegate to individuals or committees of us participant-volunteers to "lessen your load" so to speak. I'd even be willing to bet you those participant-volunteers may even develop closer "Bonds" and perhaps even "forge" successful "pairs" of us rusty horseshoes

Mike said...

The $10,000 question is: Will AVO show for the 1-11-08 event ?

Precariousgirl said...

I have looked into the dances before but since I don't have any single friends that live in the area I never went to one.

Since AM will be there I will plan on going on the 11th. It sounds like fun.

I have enjoyed reading the posts the last couple of days. Unfortantly I am not that witty of a person to manipulate words the way you guys can.

Also, as you already know I can't spell either. I guess that's why I "work" with numbers for a living.

Mike said...

percarious girl,

We may have to change that name over to precious girl. AM and Money Girl are both great and they support you. You don't need to be a spelling expert either ( did you see that in any of the by-laws ) HA!!

Now AVO needs to answer that $10,000 question

Precariousgirl said...

Thank you Mike. You are so sweet! I am glad that I decided to look online an check out what the mystery drink was for the Happy Hour. If I wouldn't of done so I wouldn't be here now having soooo much fun!

Also that gift certificate came in handy last weekend when I went to see a friends band play at Damon's (or should I say Daamion's) at Hunt Valley.

Mike said...

Precious or Precarious Girl,

Thats fine You got to go to the Damon's that had worked out best for you. Just hope you went easy on the spirits (alcohol). and let's chalk up another score for AM and the Suburban Scene camp.

Mike said...

Noticed even I spelled percarious wrong --- its real easy when your brain runs faster than what you can type.

Where dya go AVO ?

Unknown said...

Forget wit...it's nice to see there's another girl that plays with numbers for a living. Welcome to the blog clan Precariousgirl! I will make a point to meet you on the 11th!

Mike---maybe AVO has cold feet about dancing on the 11th?!?!

Precariousgirl said...

Thanks Money Girl. I can't wait to meet you and Mike on the 11th.

Also AVO if she reappears on the "scene" again.

Ava said...

P-Girl, M-Girl, and especially Mike, I'm not much of a dancing fool, but I might have to join you to see how Mike handles a lemon merengue. Cha-cha-cha. Personally, I voted for ice skating. Avagirl

Unknown said...

Ava girl....I think I might still own a pair of ice skates. Maybe in February we can all make an excursion to the rink!

But we would love to see you join us all for a night of fun regardless of whether or not you are a dancing fool.

Mike said...

Looks as if there is a split on what everyone wants to do on 1-11-08.

I have not yet made up my mind either way. But as I see it the biggest downside to the K of C dance is not being able to carry on a normal conversation without having to shout over the loud DJ music.

The pluses, on the other hand are AM, MoneyGirl PrecariousGirl and perhaps even AVO ? all being there just like one big happy family.

Could always turn the heat off at K of C let the spilled beer freeze and then do some ice dancing ( but friends don't let your Bud slip )

The $10,000 question is when and where is the next of 4 yearly Suburban Scene Mixers ? Truly only the phantom knows

Mike said...

AVO,

see Mike do the lemon merengue ? How about the twist ? --- Now you know why they have such things as lemon laws.

I'm probably more like shoe fly pie on the dance floor.

Mike said...

OK ice skaters, (AVO) looks like something is in the works for Feb ( an impromptu TBA on this blog )

That solves the problem of what to do on 1-11-08: my choices being The K of C dance or The K of C dance. Question is: When my shoe flies who will be on the other side of the hall to catch it ?

Heard from very reliable sources that the next big SSS event will be sometime in March. I think a great theme for this is " Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow " Let's see if the luck of the Irish holds true ( I've been told I am lucky; question is will I get lucky ? )

Ava said...

That reminds me of the time I lost a shoe at Hammerjacks, dancing to the sounds of the Psychedelic Furs.

Will Mike be doing the Chicken Dance at the KfC on 1-18?

Mike said...

Would you like that to be original or extra crispy ?

eggsactly !!!

Mike said...

BTW K f C is Knights of Columbus Hall not Kentuck Fried Chicken. although I could possibly chicken-out ( not the same as chicken to go )