Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Singular Bible Study Group

Last night I attended Mike's Bible study group at Faith Community Church on Reidel Road in Gambrills. Mike even won a gold star for knowing what "Hades" means in Greek. This is the winningest guy I know: barstools and Bible!

This group has a friendly, delicious, 3-tiered support network for their single members and any singles who want to attend. Half the people I spoke to attended other area congregations that did not have a similar Bible study group. Why re-invent the wheel though when other churches are willing to share resources,eh?

At FCC on the first Monday night of the month, you will find a group called Nexus that is for the younger, often never married crowd. They primarily meet for a worship celebration. I peeked in, but couldn't take a picture for you without being disruptive. They had candles lit and the lights down low with their acoustic guitars and drums. Good size crowd though.

On every Monday, the Single Parents & Single Empty Nesters meet for dinner, a brief combined time for announcements and a devotional, and then a two different Bible studies. The studies sometimes focus specifically on a singles' issue, but often is a more classic Bible study. They collaborate on social outings, like their recent trip to see the Rockettes in NYC.


Although the Empty Nesters were primarily women, my attendance in the Single Parents group made the number of men & women even.

Dinner was delicious, and compliments of the church. Child care was provided. The folks in attendance were friendly as could be. So if you are looking for just such a place, you should check this group out!

Do you know of any other houses of worship in the area that have active groups for singles?

3 comments:

Mike said...

AM,

What a very kind thing to say about FCC's Monday night dinner and about me too.

You're absoulutely right, I'm not "legalistic" I may know my barstools but I also do not spend a whole lot of time on them either. I will add, however that it was very fitting of you to select your barstool pics that also came from very fine eating establishment's as well.

If the strict "liquid diet" rules or controls your life and not The One who came, then you may not need to know the Greek meaning of the word "Hades" --- you may actually get to experience it first hand. (and thats not such a good thing !!)

Thats not to say, I don't mind a beer or a glass of wine with others once in a while.

Anyhow its not about me !!! Anyone is free to come join us for the Mon Night Dinners ---we're very glad that you came, moreover; that you enjoyed yourself in a very relaxed, welcoming and non-threatening, non-discriminating abode.

I'm going to be politically incorrect too -- "Merry Christmas Everyone"

Unknown said...

Very cool. I currently have a Monday night commitment through the end of January, but after that, I think I might try the SPLASH bible study group. My church doesn't have an active population of young adults.

Mike said...

Hey MoneyGirl,

Glad to hear you may invest in our study. It was fun having AM there.
perhaps next time the both of you can come. We're meeting again tonight Mon. 12-10 at 6:30 PM. No RSVP is required, simply show up if and when you can. And Who knows Moneypenny ?, perhaps you may even be able to find that perfect Bond.