Monday, March 24, 2008

Exes

When you have been single for years in one location, you increase your chances of running into an ex in town. "Exes" might be too strong of a word because it implies there was a relationship that ended. Sometimes, it might be an attempted relationship that never got very far off the ground. For me, the likelihood of running into such a person is inversely proportionate to the amount of effort I have put into my appearance. True for you?

Once, I was cramming a slice of pizza into my mouth at a stoplight on a rush to a story I was covering. I heard a beep from the next car and looked over to see an old boyfriend waving at me. perfect.

But the awkwardness factor depends more on the manner in which the relationship ended. Was this person an embarrassing one night stand? How honest were you? How mutual was the break up? How often do you see each other? Where are you running into this person, and who are you with at the time? Do you avoid certain locations or events so that you don't run into someone?

Based on some of those awkward moments, have you developed rules for yourself - Like no dating co-workers, or only in Las Vegas? No eating at stop lights. No flirting at church. No giving out of phone numbers after two margaritas. No sweatpants at the grocery store.

What are your self-imposed rules? What have you learned from your most awkward moments?

4 comments:

Mike said...

AM,

Interesting pizza story at the stoplight running into an ex. It could have been worse - you could have regurgitated but you managed to hold it in to avoid a "peperoni pete" incident. Good for You !!!!

I have not encountered the ex problem in the Bowie Crofton Odenton area because I have not really gone out with anyone since having relocated to the area.

I don't have any rules against going out with a member of my church, but I also have not found a member of my church that has had that sort of appeal to me either. So I tend to think of those ladies more as acqaintences or friends.
Anyhow thats not the reason why I attend church in the first place. So I go there to find my soul
( not my soulmate )

Anyhow It would be real nice to meet someone at a SSS event or during the Blind Date Contest. I do have one rule though -- not to meet prospective dates (ladies) out at bars. Even I don't go there to drink --and thats how I manage to remember the barstools to keep winning the contests.

Mike said...

AM,

I have actually gone out with a co-worker before. I'd say if you are single you'd probably get to know your co-workers better than your own family members ( i.e. you probably see and interact with them more each day ). One ground rule though---- It has to be somebody you do not supervise or work with either immediately or directly. That applies in my case ( as we are is separate functional operating units ).

I never wear sweatpants outside my house unless I know I would be running or playing some type of sport. They just don't give enough support where it is needed -- if you know what I mean.

Mike said...

AM,

I know why you have self imposed rules --- so you can break them.
There there in the first place because you want to set the bar higher. Nothing wrong with high standards.

LM

Unknown said...

I have only had one instance were I ran into an ex. I was a vendor at a large bridal fair, and he and his fiance were there. We both were clearly surprised to have run into each other at such an event since I had broken up with him 6 months prior. I think it was more awkward for him than it was for me.

I can't say that I have any rules for awkward moments with exes. It doesn't happen often enough for me.