Monday, April 7, 2008

Blogaversary

I let my one year anniversary of this blog slip by. My first post was March 14th of 2007. This is my 109th post, so I let that mile marker slip by too. But I am going to catch the one year anniversary of my print column. I am about to turn in my 12th column. The first one ran in May of 2007. (We only print 11 issues a year, combining July & August into one edition.)

Some of you are new readers of the blog and column. Some of you have been with me for a while. In this first year, this endeavor evolved to include events hosted by local businesses for singles. I have met hundreds of local singles.

My goal with this blog-column combo is to offer some no-strings-attached support to people adapting to living an unmarried life for a variety of reasons. Whether or not your single status is deliberate and welcome, or an emotional upheaval, I want to encourage you to find peace, and maybe even happiness in your current status. I want to encourage you to expand your experiences and meet new people, whether or not they are your soul mates or true loves. I want you to know you are not all alone.

I have tried to create some fun and even daring possibilities for you with the monthly Mystery Barstool Contest and our latest project, a Blind Date Contest.

Many of you have shared ideas for events and topics for discussion. I have tried to include these when at all possible.

What have you enjoyed about the column, the blog, and the events? What ideas would you like to see me incorporate?

4 comments:

Mike said...

AM,

Happy Aniversary for your column and your blog. Both are great and each one compliments the other.

I'm just sorry we don't have at least one main event per month, but I also understand its a lot of work for just one individual working alone.

We deeply appreciate the support you have received from your staff at Suburban Scene. Laura Tayman was a great hostess Kudos to the business that help sponsor events and furnish door prizes for us too

The Mystery Barstool contest is a real blast ( and I'm not just saying that just because I seem to recall all their locations either).
I'll give you feedback on the "Blind Date Contest" when it actually happens.

You also do a great job of sharing blogger comments in your column. The only thing I might suggest is
let some of the bloggers write on various short subjects that relate to your overall central theme. This will help reveal individuals personalities more and folks will understand what charachter really is.

Thanks for celebrating with MarkEC some of your friends and me with a fine cigar paired with scotch this past Friday. The fun time went by real fast and much like a puff of smoke all of a sudden it was over
( at least until next time )

Happy Blogosphere !!!!

LM

MarkEC said...

Happy Blogaverary! Has it been a year already? Wow, time flies when you are having fun. :-)

Mike said...

MarkEC,

or as the frog would say " time is fun when your having flies "

Mike said...

AM,

Some other fun things might be something like a Dear Abby column where readers can write in for free advice on dating/relationships where you could also let the other readers respond with their own ideas in your Singles column.

A Singles auction

A Singles scavenger hunt

A Sady-Hawkins type event - where the women finally get the chance to choose the men that they like or would like to get to know (this one evens the playing field)

A Pajama party

Theme party: Caveman, Tarzan & Jane, Roman Toga, Cowboy, Roaring 20s Greaser 50s Psychedelic 60s Disco 70s Dancing with the Stars, apparel nights -LL Bean, Eddie Bauer Victoria's Secret Fredericks of Hollywood
Lycra/Spandex
Leather & Lace
this list is endless
( let loose and have some fun )