Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Kissing in Doorways


The Baltimore-Washington Parkway is about to be in leaf, and on this misty spring morning, it looked beautiful. I hope all my friends who moved away from here have such pretty drives in their new clime. I didn’t even make any mobile phone calls, so I could enjoy the pretty ride home from a magazine assignment up in the Baltimore suburbs.

The B-W Parkway is so pretty, in part because of the preserved land on the sides. You can look beyond the shoulders and see streams and forest. It gives you a glimpse of what this town looked like before we were so civilized. I’m always happy to see land we haven’t paved over yet.

I was listening to music on this pretty drive and was prompted to think about the times I have kissed someone in a doorway. When I was 15, a farm boy I dated kissed me good night on my parents’ front porch. I leaned back against the house and rang the door bell.

Other times I have been the one going away. Sometimes I am the one going inside. I love when you both go inside together - or away together.

I think kissing in doorways implies a change. Do you remember who you have kissed in a doorway? Did the direction to which each of you parted describe something about your relationship? Which kisses stand out the brightest in your memory: the parting kisses or the greeting kisses?

5 comments:

Mike said...

AM,

You know the old saying " Never Kiss and Tell ".

Looks like the doorbell did the talking for you, in the past when you were with that 15 year old farm boy. As a farmer, I'm sure your dad wanted to start him out with a few acres (ach-er's) ughhh !!!!!

As far as the doorways go, there is some implication of either coming or going. Mistletoe, only makes the event a little more interesting.

Ever try a Tabasco kiss ? Gives a whole new dimension to the term "hot lips"

Mike said...

Somebody gave me a real big kiss on Valentine's Day it weighed almost 2 lbs. A giant Hershey Kiss

Mike said...

AM,

How on Earth does driving the BW Parkway remind you of kissing someone inside of a doorway ?

All I can say is that 15 year old farm boy must of been a real "Pansy"

AM Kingsfield said...

Just the happy spring feeling I guess. I wish I could remember what song jogged my memory. I was listening to a folk music station on my satellite radio. It's nice to just let your mind wander rather than always talking on the phone.

Mike said...

AM,

You are right about the BW Parkway - it is a very pleasant drive. The right song on the radio plus the pleasant surroundings can just about take your immagination almost anywhere. Thanks for sharing your ride down "memory lane". ---- I was only joking about the Pansy's