Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bowie Kickball League

As a wonderful benefit of this unbelievably cool job I have, I am hearing of more local fun things to do. I wish I had time to explore them all as soon as I'd like to.

For example...
Tonight I was invited to attend the post-season party for the Bowie Kickball League at Jaspers in Crofton. Although this is not a league exclusive to singles, it sure looks like a great way to meet some fun people. You should check out their website. Watch the little news clip.

Anyway, they've just finished up for the season, but will start again, looks like next spring. Hopefully one of their guys will hop on our comments and give us some more info.

I sounds like the perfect athletic organization for me. You don't have to be young, just young at heart. Kickball is, to quote the guy in the clip, "the most, like, unathletic sport you can play." They have a beer sponsor and a local restaurant host.

The clip is from the Baltimore league, but they are starting up a new league for those of us in the suburbs. It looks like it might be a spring only season. If that's right, then I'll just have to bring all of this up again in the spring. Maybe we can put together a team of bloggers.

So, back to my opening comments, I couldn't attend the party tonight. Sorry guys! I'm sure it was fun. You will definitely be hearing more about these folks.

8 comments:

Mike said...

A Kickball league ?

Kickball is what I used to play on the courtyard when I went to grade school eons ago.

Now if you are talking Soccer, Now there you actually have a real world class sport.

I do like the idea of a Beer Sponsor, just drop the kickball and have a beer drinking league instead. or alternatively just have dart team at the local tavern. Heck I'll even volunteer to be the goalie for the dart team and after I have a beer or two I can also water the lawn by doing my impersonation of a lawn sprinkler.

AM Kingsfield said...

Yes, kickball, like in elementary school PE.
We don't always have to be talented & sophisticated, do we? Soccer is a whole lot of running!

This league is strictly for people who like to laugh, want a little exercise (but not too much), and like to meet people.

There will be a fall season too. Watch for more info on enrollment happy hours.

Unknown said...

According to some of my girlfriends its a ton of fun! Lots of single people play. I'd be interested in joining a league in the fall or spring.

kawman said...

Mike is just jealous, because he was not good at kickball in elementary school..(LOL)

Kickaball is fun. It is a great way to meet people, whether they are single or couples. I have met many new friends. Plus it is a sport anybody can play. (It is tougher than it seems though.)

My team and I have kickabll cookouts in Crofton. So anyone interested in joining a league can come out and play with us to see if they enjoy it before signing up for a league. You can e-mail me at kfrede7548@aol.com.

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks Kawman. I heard there will be sign up Happy Hours in August. Sounds like fun. Thanks for leaving your e-mail.

How many practices & games a week, and how long is the season? I always have to schedule around my kids. I want to be on moneygirl's team!

Mike said...

Kawman,

You don't have to worry about me being jealous, I know how to manage my balls.

I also never said that Kickball was not fun either. Fun is actually my middle name. Every where I go folks always have a good time.

kawman said...

am kingsfield,

The season is 8 games long plus playoffs. The games will be on the same day every week but at different times. Plus, you can bring your kids to the games:-)

Not sure of the Happy Hour sign ups yet.

There are no required practices. We do it just for fun to drink beer and cookout. The practices do help, especially if you are not sure of the rules and need to brush up on some skills.It also helps with game planning and strategy.

Wouldn't you rather play on the funnest team The GPA'S?

Mike..Just joking with you. I am sure you are a kewl guy!

Mike said...

Kawman,

Thanks for the vote of confidence !

Actually I am very Kewel ( my air conditioning works just fine ).

Actually, I'd rather you remember me as being fun over being cool. After all fun is my middle name.