Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Changing Focus

I have had a wonderful writing assignment for the magazine. I was assigned to write the Non-Profit of the Month feature for the June issue on Changing Focus, a Crofton based support group for people going through the crisis of divorce or death of a spouse.

I went to this group twice about a year into my separation and could tell it was a comfortable, useful place to be. Unfortunately, the weeknight meetings were stressful to attend with my kids so little and my family already supporting me on many other fronts. I was in therapy and on anti-depressants at the time, so I was trying to dig out from the rubble.

Now, three years later, I was required to go. I attended the divorce support group. I immediately felt the welcoming, safe atmosphere. The conversations were helpful. Everyone there understood. They were all happy for the publicity that I was going to bring them through the magazine and generously offered their testimonials about how CF helped them through a tough time.

Several participants identified the usefulness of hearing divorce stories from the opposite sex. It was good to hear how the other side thinks in a safe environment.

Did you every go to a support group? What was good about it?

2 comments:

peggy said...

I went a couple times. It always helps to hear and see that you aren't the only one going through something like this.

MarkEC said...

It is a great group, the perfect place to get the support you need and the education to move forward and start a new life.