Saturday, May 12, 2007

Where to Spill

I had a helpful reminder today that not everyone I meet wants an update on the latest details about my divorce or last relationship. At the slightest nudge, a contractor working in my house spilled his guts to me about his current sad state of affairs.

Poor guy. This big manly man was heartbroken and couldn't think of much else. While I was listening and listening I found myself wondering, did I ask?

I was trying to be patient because I remember that stage. It sucks. But I don't know that guy and the whole bus stop hecticness was going on at my house. He just sucked my neighbors into the conversation: two other single moms. We had a hard time cutting him off. We had to let him wind down on his own.

It is great to have a place where you can safely spill when you're overflowing. I had a friend or two I could call anytime. Some available in person. Some available on-line. I try to pay that favor forward by listening.

Spill here. If I haven't been there, someone else in this conversation has. It helps just to spill.

But you probably shouldn't do it to your customers.
Who did you spill on?
Did you ever catch yourself going on and on too much?

No comments: