Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Bouncing Back


After my period of wallowing, I slowly started taking better care of myself. I do remember one moment when I just felt irritated with the Ex and myself for having allowed myself to get so low. Why was I allowing myself to be miserable?

One of the first steps toward recovery was getting back to exercise. I had a friend who persisted in inviting me to join her on her daily walk. Reluctant at first, I just agreed to two mornings a week. But slowly, I incorporated more.

Do you find that, just as unhealthy choices lead to more unhealthy choices in a downward spiral, that healthy choices can lead you back into an upward spiral? For example, after a third glass of wine, a bag of chips can seem like a single serving: bad leading to bad.

But once I started walking more, I hated to cancel out my effort with stupid eating habits. Slowly, I started getting healthier: good leading to good.

What baby steps toward recovering yourself did you make, or are you currently making? Maybe you are just considering that your wallowing time is coming to an end. It is tiresome after a while, isn't it? Is it time to take care of yourself? If you don't, who will?

3 comments:

just me said...

Although I am not recovering from anything right now, when hubby was recovering from his heart attack I joined the gym too. I must say that although I felt virtuous, I hated every moment of it and resented the fact that I was even there. (I never had to even think about my weight until after 40.) As soon as I started working again, I quit exercising... I am trying to eat better, but am always longing for chocolate. It is a constant struggle.

AM Kingsfield said...

Lindt has an 85% cocoa bar that is intensely chocolate without all the sugar. That helps me fend off the chocolate cravings.

Also, I find that it is too much to watch your diet every single day.

just me said...

True. I used to know a woman (over 60) whose weight-control regimen went like this: during the week she ate no (or almost no) carbs - on the weekend she ate whatever she wanted (within reason). It seemed to work for her. It's more of a maintenance thing than an active weight-loss... but that way you aren't constantly depriving yourself.