Thursday, May 31, 2007

Helpful Books

What books were helpful to you when you were becoming single again? I know that I couldn't read very much for a while. Suddenly, all the novels I had been reading seemed irrelevant. I dropped out of my book club. I just couldn't hang out with all my married friends and discuss literature anymore.

I had no idea how to get divorced, particularly without ruining my kids which was my foremost concern. I had not talked to many people yet about the demise of my marriage, but needed some direction. The Good Divorce by Constance Ahrons served as a survival guide in those first few months. Ahrons introduced me to the term "binuclear family" as an option to "broken home." Divorce, Ahrons explains, doesn't end your family, it redefines it.

Although not related to divorce or grief recovery, the first book that I read in a year was a collection of humorous essays by an Arizona writer named Laurie Notaro. Her first book, the Idiot Girl's Action Adventure Guide had me laughing so hard tears were rolling down my face. She helped me break the ice on my reading freeze.

Again, not a divorce recovery book, but Anne Lamott's Plan B was also inspiring and relieving. Her newest book, Grace Eventually, is a great example of how to view the accumulation of all your bad decisions and good intentions.

What have you read that was helpful?

3 comments:

MarkEC said...

For me, Starting Over by John Gray (the Mars/Venus guy) was the first book I read. It did help, although I don't always agree with his perspective on men and women. I too was most concerned about my child, how the divorce would affect her and how I would be able to parent her when it took all I had just to get moving each day.

Mike said...

I'd recommend the book "When You are Single Again", authored by Thomas F. Jones ISBN 0-8407-9571-8
Fresh Start Ministries.

It helps put the 3 L's: like, love, lust into proper perspective and assists to navigate oneself within the proper spiritual and positive mindset intended by our Creator.

AM Kingsfield said...

I like that, the 3 L's. A navigational tool might be nice.