Thursday, May 3, 2007

Mobile Flirtation

Do you ever flirt with passing motorists?

The latest issue of US News & World Report ranks my home county as the sixth worst traffic in the country. Numbers 1-4 are all NYC feeders. I spend a lot of time driving, although a lot of it is shuttling children and so of course, I behave myself then. But otherwise, why not make the most of that time? A lot of folks could use a smile, right?

Really mobile flirtation at its best is just catching someone's eye and smiling, maybe a nod of the head or peering over the tops of your sunglasses. I don't know if I'd try it at a dead stop. But it can be fun.

Once, I was driving around here and I noticed a big shiny pick-up truck ahead of me with a WV license plate that had two extra tires in the back. It struck me as silly to have four tires in the back here in the heart of suburbia. Where was he going? I thought, What is it about those WV boys and their trucks?

When I passed the truck I thought I'd glance over and see if it was actually a WV guy driving. He caught me checking him out and took it as invitation. He passed me and beeped and waved. That was fine. I laughed and waved back, having unintentionally started this.

But then he started honking and waving at me to follow him off the next exit. Really? Did he really think all I needed was a honk and a wave? I have felt needy before, but I do require a bit more effort than a honk and a wave.

Do you have any stories from the road?

No comments: